This course is designed for students who have writing skills approaching acceptable levels for college work. The course is separated into two parts:
1) Writing skills that can be verified in a multiple-choice test, and
2) Essay skills.
A complete presentation of Writing Skills includes:
- Identifying Errors Involving Nouns, Pronouns, Verbs, Adjectives, and Adverbs
- Identifying Errors Involving Coordination, Subordination, Parallelism, Correlation, Negation, & Comparison
- Identifying Errors in Idiom & Word Choice
- Identifying Significant Errors in Punctuation and Capitalization
- Identifying Sentences That Meet Conventions of Standard English
In the sections of writing skills instruction provided here, the student will find descriptions of the skills, numerous examples, and opportunities to verify abilities in a format common for online placement tests.
The Essay Skills portion of this course is designed for a student whose major or vocation choice requires the writing of an acceptable essay. In this course, you will practice a five-step process for:
- creating ideas
- organizing the ideas for an essay
- writing a lead sentence for the first paragraph that states the main idea of the essay
- writing a lead sentence for each other paragraph
- writing the secondary sentences for each paragraph